2 Ingredient Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free Pancakes
By staff writer Kathie Lowry
My daughter is gluten-intolerant, but our family seriously likes breakfast for dinner. Now that I have this recipe, we have pancakes whenever we want. It’s simple:
- 1 mashed large banana
- 2 large eggs
- Mix together and fry like regular pancakes. Use oil on griddle.
Why this recipe?
There are plenty of ways to make regular pancakes without gluten. We sometimes use gluten-free mixes for a more traditional pancake. Cooking with your own mix of gluten-free flours is also a great way to go. This recipe, though, is made with two of the ingredients that I always have on hand. My daughter uses it to make her own snacks and when we are without the right flours, we can still enjoy pancakes as a family.
We also really enjoy playing with this recipe to see how different add-ins affect the flavor and the texture of the final product. Here are some things to try:
- Add baking powder for more fluff (start with 1/8 tsp).
- Add cinnamon, cacao powder, nut butter, or fruit preserves to batter (start with 1 tbsp).
- Put chopped nuts, granola, shredded coconut, or other fruit onto each pancake before flipping.
I am always looking for ways to add protein to my diet. This batch of pancakes already has about 13g of protein, but with around 28g of carbs, it can’t hurt to get a better balance. For pancakes, I add about 1 tbsp of plain, vanilla, or chocolate protein powder to my batter.
Be aware that banana pancakes do taste like bananas. They also act a little differently while being cooked.
- Lower heat — Medium heat allows the inside to cook so that it is not mushy.
- Be patient — Wait to flip until the edges are set (most of the middle will be runny) and the bottom is browned. Lift an edge to check, if needed.
- Flip carefully — Work a thin spatula about half-way under the pancake; lift the pancake slightly off the griddle; flip.
- Spills are normal — Some liquid will spill off the edges as you flip so just scrape it back under the pancake.
Enjoy being able to add this favorite food back into your family meals!